Sunday, February 3, 2013

Revenge: TV's Evil Queen

Say hello to Victoria Grayson, also known as Queen Victoria.  This horrifying smirk belongs to TV's most wonderful villain.  The TV series Revenge has an interesting take on what it means to be spiteful, and even more importantly, spiteful and rich.  

While I admittedly started the show with very low expectations (poor acting being part of the problem was inevitable thanks to the handy cast that was insanely shorthanded on talent) I was delightfully misguided in my assumptions (you know what they say...the whole ass and me thing).  I was so excited to watch as these crazy rich people tore each other apart Gossip Girl style.  But, a little to my dismay, that isn't exactly what the show is about.  There are of course deep morals which are blatantly explained to us by the main character at the beginning and end of each episode thanks to a crafty voice-over, along with several other important elements (the awesome twists and turns, the suspense, the heartbreak, etc).  

Despite all of the above being important, I'd like you to skip to this line if you have not found anything thus far worth reading about.  Revenge got one thing exactly right: Victoria Grayson.  Vicious but heartfelt, backstabbing but true, Queen Victoria is the character I have been waiting for all my life.  She is utterly terrifying to me in the same way that a sociopath scares a normal headed person.  Victoria has no sense of loyalty.  She has no explanation for her actions but to save her own ass, no exceptions.  Let me say that again, NO EXCEPTIONS (all caps to really get my point across here).  That no exceptions includes her kids, her husband, her one true love, her very best girl friends, etc.  Victoria has no saving grace, she is selfish and manipulative and fearless in her conquers.  But yet, we see her feel love and sadness and regret.  Then why is she so monsters-under-the-bed-scary to me?  Because none of those emotions stop her.  She has no filter for her actions.  Every emotion is there and we as an audience get to see it, yet we also watch as she swallows them down and continues on her path of destruction.  Emotions are a tricky thing; Victoria Grayson has learned how to completely ignore them.  Remember that no exceptions thing?  If not, please refer back to those capitals.  Despite her emotions, Victoria doesn't even make an exception for herself.  She has opportunities time and time again to make herself "truly happy" and she chooses not to because she'd rather have cash than smiles.  The Queen Bee has a vision of perfect in her mind and she will do whatever it takes to get it.  She is just like any psychotic emotionless bitch, but she has a handy endless supply of dollar bills to back up her evil.  If that's not an impressive insurance plan, then I don't know what is.

If I had to choose between meeting Victoria Grayson or Freddie Krueger in a dark alleyway, I'd take silly little Freddie every time.

Best of luck,
K. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment